Mandalas for Kids – Color me Pretty, Color me Wise!
Mandalas are an amazing craft to sprinkle in amongst your already amazing kiddos yoga lessons! Download free mandala coloring pages from the web, or make and design your own – colorful, creative fun with oodles of benefits, check it out:
What is a mandala? Mandala is Sanskrit for the word “circle” (Sanskrit is an ancient Indian language traditionally used in yoga). A mandala is a design (intricate or simple) that is contained within a circle; it is usually colorful and pleasing to the eye, just like a piece of art!
How does it help me? Mandalas are used as a tool to help strengthen meditation and increase our ability to focus. Practiced regularly meditation can be very relaxing and healing for both the mind and the body.
What do I need? You will need a mandala (design in a circle) to practice mandala meditation. You can find one that is already complete and colorful, or, you can color your own – many mandala coloring pages are available online and FREE to download. Once you find a mandala-coloring page that you like, you can use paints, crayons or felt tip pens to color it. Working within the circle/design coloring your mandala is also a form of meditation!
How do I use a mandala? Position yourself to be comfortable for meditation. Place the mandala in front of you (you can attach it to a wall in front of you at eye level, or place it on a table or just in front of you if sitting on the floor). Soften your gaze and focus on the design of your mandala. Notice the shapes, colors, and movement of the design, take in every little detail and reflect on your mandala, noticing how it makes you feel to sit and focus on this piece of art.
Make your own mandala!
Get your creative juices flowing and create your own mandalas! You can make them to use for your own meditation practice, or you can make them as gifts for friends and family!
You will need:
• Plain paper
• Sharpie (preferably black or blue)
• Colorful paints, crayons or felt-tip pens
How do I do it?
• Begin by drawing a circle on your plain paper, you can trace around paper dinner plate to make a nice even circle.
• Using your pencil, create a design within the circle, it can be as intricate or simple as you wish to make it, but it must be symmetrical.
• Once you are happy with your final design, draw over the outline with sharpie to make it bolder.
• Color to complete your mandala or give it to a friend to color and use as a meditation tool.