Connecting to the Breath with a Simple Mantra
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Chillax is a simple mantra-type breathing exercise you can practice anywhere and any time. This technique serves as a quick fix during moments of tension, stress or anxiety, as well as to calm oneself when excess energy or silliness bubbles within.
How does it help?
Immediately drawing attention to the breath, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Chillax, is a breathing technique that encourages slow and steady breathing, calming the nervous system and disarming the fight or flight response – a natural reaction to stressful situations. Breathe In, Breathe Out, Chillax is a handy tool you can access any time you need it, the simple mantra keeps you connected to the breath and what you are doing, removing the focus from anything that may have triggered feelings of stress, anxiety, or worry.
How do I do it?
1. When you find yourself experiencing a moment of stress or anxiety (or impatience waiting in a long line!), immediately draw your attention to your breath.
2. Close your mouth and begin to breathe through your nose.
3. Slow and deepen your next inhale, saying the words, “Breathe In” to yourself as you feel the ribs expanding in all directions.
4. As you breathe out through the nose, slowly and with control, say the words “Breathe Out” to yourself.
5. Once the air is expelled, and before taking your next inhale, say the word “Chillax” to yourself.
6. Repeat for several rounds until you feel yourself relaxing and taking deeper, slower breaths naturally.
Kids’ Meditation Made Simple!