A Simple and Effective Mantra to Breathe and Relax
What is Breathe In, Breathe Out, Relax?
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Relax is a simple mantra breathing exercise that is easy to learn and can be practiced anywhere and any time. This technique serves as a quick fix during moments of tension or stress, and as a tool to become calm and centered when excess energy or silliness bubbles within.
How does it help me?
Immediately drawing attention to your breath, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Relax, is a breathing technique that encourages slow, steady breathing to calm the nervous system and disarm the fight or flight response – a natural reaction to stressful situations. Breathe In, Breathe Out, Relax is a handy tool you can access any time you need it, the simple mantra keeps you connected to the breath and what you are doing, shifting attention from the trigger source and resulting feelings of stress, anxiety, or worry.
How do I do it?
1. When you find yourself experiencing a moment of stress or anxiety (or impatience waiting in a long line!), immediately shift your attention to your breath.
2. Close your mouth and begin to breathe through your nose.
3. Slow and deepen your next inhale, saying the words, “Breathe In” to yourself as you feel the ribs expanding in all directions.
4. As you breathe out through the nose, slowly and with control, say the words “Breathe Out” to yourself.
5. Once the air is expelled, and before taking your next inhale, say the word “Relax” to yourself.
6. Repeat for several rounds until you feel yourself relaxing and taking deeper, slower breaths naturally.